Low oil breakfast or a quick low oil snack.
Urad dal/Minapappu 1 cup
Rice 2 cups
Onion 1 small
Cilantro/coriander few finely chopped
Ginger 1/2 inch
Green chilies 2
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Black pepper 1/2 tsp
Shredded coconut 1 tbsp(optional)
Salt as needed
Oil 1 tbsp
1) Soak rice and urad dal in water for 3-4 hours.
Now grind them into batter and let it ferment for 6-7 hours.
Batter should be a little sour.
2) Now chop the onion, green chilies, ginger and cilantro(coriander).
3)Add them to the batter .
Now add the cumin seeds, salt, black pepper and shredded coconut.
4)Now grease the pan. Add the batter to three- fourth level because they increase in size upon frying.
5) Fry on medium heat so it gets cooked well without burning.
Use a spoon and check for the color. If it turns golden brown then flip to the other side.
Cook it till golden brown and turn off the heat .
Take it into plate and serve with yummy chutney.
* Use left over idly or dosa batter
* We can deep fry the ponganalu in oil till golden brown if you do not have ponganalu maker.