EGGPLANT/BRINJAL PEANUT FRY
As a south indian rice, rasam/ dal and fry/curry are our everyday meal. There is never a single day which goes the other way. I can nibble on any veggie. I was thinking to pen down all the veggie recipes I know , learnt and heard. (may be I would land up in some 200-300 recipes I guess😀) As of this recipe , Brinjal/Eggplant/aubergine I was wondering what name to use😏. In my part of the world we call it as eggplant but from where I grew up we call them as brinjal. This is a simple basic fry . Goes well with dal/sambhar. But the most loved way of eating this purple colored veggie is in the form of pachadi/ chutney. My mom burns the veggie over the stove top , peels the skin and makes yummy chutney with it. It is to die for. As I have electric range in my kitchen , I truly miss the chutney.
When coming to this recipe, I used the purple brinjal/eggplant. This veggie has this soft texture which can absorb and blend in an recipe. Best part this gets cooked real quick. Try to select tender brinjal for this recipe . If the brinjal/eggplant is hardened it forms seeds and the veggie loses the wonderful flavor. This is a beginner level recipe . Toss in your favorite ingredients and play with the recipe. So, note down the ingredients and jump into your apron.
If you love eggplant/brinjal. Do check out the other recipes:
Brinjal/ Eggplant 4
Onion 1 small
Peanuts 1 tbsp
Green chilies 2
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Red chilly powder 1 tsp
Ginger-garlic pasta 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1.5 tsp
Coriander /cilantro leaves few
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
FOR TEMPERING:
Mustard seeds 1tsp
Urad dal 1 tsp
Chana dal 1 tsp
Oil 2 tbsp
PROCEDURE:
1) Wash and chop the brinjal/eggplant. Take some water and salt in a bowl. Then add the chopped eggplant.(this prevents from blackening)
2)In a kadai/pan, heat oil. Add the mustard seeds, once they splutter add the urad dal . peanuts and chana dal.
Now add the chopped onions, green chilies, curry leaves.
Let the onions turn transparent.
3) Add the ginger-garlic paste, coriander powder and red chilly powder. Mix well and let the masalas cook for 30 seconds until the raw smell leaves.
4) Now add the eggplant pieces , turmeric and salt to it.
Mix well and cover with lid. Cook them on medium flame stirring in between.
5) Once all the moisture leaves the eggplant then add the cilantro/coriander leaves. Turn off the flame.
Serve with rice or roti.




Comments
Post a Comment